White River lies approximately 20km north of Nelspruit, the capital of Mpumalanga. Houses for sale and rent in White River have become so popular as the town is perfectly positioned as a holiday stop over and base from which to explore the many attractions of this great province, most of which are in comfortable driving distance of the town. The charm and tranquillity of White River has induced many of the country's foremost potters, painters, sculptors and furniture makers to settle here, hence the name "The Artists Town".
Properties here popular not only for their surrounding attractions, but for the quality schools and amenities residents have access to when they buy or rent a house in White River. The town is also popular amongst those looking for commercial property in Mpumalanga as it is the centre of a well-developed industry where vegetables, sub-tropical fruit, flowers, nuts and timber are produced. Find out more about the houses for sale in White River and the rental opportunities below.
Featured Property in White River
Property in White River quicklinks
Property in White River for sale
Property in White River to rent - Long Term Rentals
Property in White River to rent - Short Term Rentals
Other Areas in White River and Areas Nearby White River
Explore White River
• Outdoors: Thrill seekers and those who enjoy getting out into the great outdoors will love the opportunities that a permanent base or rental home in White River affords. You can do anything from water rafting, abseiling and diving to game drives, micro lighting and hot air ballooning. There are also 3 top 18-hole golf courses in the vicinity and the area’s nature trails, on foot or on horseback, are a wonderful way to see the abundance of flora and fauna. Fly-fishing is very popular and there are a handful of stocked dams and streams in the area.
• History: The many historical sites and villages, old wagon trails and monuments mark events and characters who passed before in search of wealth and adventure. The White River Museum, with its collections of memorabilia and vintage vehicles, makes for a great family day out. A trip out to Pilgrim’s Rest offers a delightful reminder of the gold rush days with many of the corrugated iron houses having been beautifully restored to now serve as museums, hotels and restaurants.
• Kruger National Park: White River houses for rent and sale allow you the opportunity to be at this, SA’s premiere game reserve, in 30 minutes. When you safari at this Big 5 reserve, you are able to view the white rhino and the endangered black rhino, the elephant, the lion, the elusive leopard and the buffalo.
Living in White River
• Schools: Many people choose to buy a house for sale in White River because of the area’s excellent education reputation. Uplands Preparatory and Upland College offer top calibre, independent, co-educational education and are beautifully situated on park-like grounds surrounded by forests. Penryn College consists of 3 schools, pre-primary, preparatory and college, starting at grade 0 and going up to grade 12. Matric pupils here write the Independent Examination and offer a selection of cultural and sporting activities as well as boarding facilities.
• Shopping: When you buy or rent a home in White River, you’ll be spoilt for choice. There’s the Riverside Mall and The Grove (conveniently situated between Nelspruit and White River) as well as Crossing Shopping Centre and Ilanga Shopping Centre which also offer all the conveniences of big city shopping malls. With its selection of clothing, linen, furniture and décor shops, Casterbridge Farm is a favourite amongst White River residents.
• Dining and entertainment: Whether it’s fine dining you’re after or even something a little on the wild side, you will find a restaurant that caters to your tastes. The Barnyard Theatre, situated at Caster Bridge Farm, presents theatrical entertainment and live music for all tastes. And there’s also a cinema which has a regular line up of art-circuit movies.
• Air travel: Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport is easily accessible from White River and enables visitors from both overseas and in land to travel conveniently and quickly to the heart of Mpumalanga.
Education: There are two top calibre, independent, co-educational schools, both just a few minutes from White River. Uplands Preparatory and Upland College is beautifully situated on park-like grounds and surrounded by magnificent forests.
Penryn College, linked to the Methodist church and twinned with St. Tithians College (Johannesburg) is situated on the Boschrand hills overlooking the Crocodile Valley. Penryn consists of three schools, Pre-primary, Preparatory and College, starting at Grade 00 and going up to grade 12.
Both schools have excellent education levels with Matric pupils writing the Independent Examination selection of cultural and sporting activities are on offer to students. Both schools cater for boarders.
Kruger National Park: The park is one of South Africa’s biggest tourist attractions. Home of the Big Five which include the white rhino and the endangered black rhino, the elephant, the lion, the most exclusive leopard and the buffalo. The park stretches 380km from North to South and 60km wide but a mere thirty minute drive from White River to the nearest gate. A vision expressed by President Paul Kruger to put an end to the indiscriminate hunting in the late 19th century. For years he called for the protection of wildlife and subsequently the bush between the Crocodile River and the Sabie River were proclaimed into Sabie Game reserve. Later the game reserve was expanded and opened to public. It was then renamed the Kruger National Park.