Uitenhage and Despatch are two towns in close proximity to Port Elizabeth that together form the greater Nelson Mandela Bay Metro in the Eastern Cape of South Africa. Port Elizabeth is, by far, the largest of the three, but Uitenhage and Despatch each play their own important role in the heritage, culture and industrial contribution of the Metro as a whole. Both areas are popular amongst house hunters looking for a more affordable property option than they’d find in PE and employees of Volkswagen South Africa. The Volkswagen plant in Uitenhage is the biggest car factory on the African continent.
Property for sale in Uitenhage and Despatch comprises of larger homes, apartments and smaller homes within security complexes. Find out more about the property available for sale and rent below.
Explore Uitenhage and Despatch
• Uitenhage was founded in 1804 so has a rich history demonstrated in a number of old buildings maintained in excellent condition. Must-visits include Town Hall, the Drostdy and the Court House.
• Lying on the Zwartkops River, Uitenhage is also known as the Garden Town. Its many rambling parks and a climate that allows gardens to flourish with little input have earned it that name. The Strelitzias, which bloom just about as far as the eye, decorate the town beautifully.
• Despatch was established in 1942 as a railway siding from where bricks were despatched for building, hence the name by which it is still known today. Despatch still has many of the old buildings that were constructed with these bricks, including beautiful old churches, which stand as cultural reminders of its humble beginnings.
• A 45-kilometre drive will have you at the Addo Elephant Park and all of Port Elizabeth’s attractions are just a short drive away.
Living in Uitenhage/Despatch
• Schools: There are a number of schools in the area that cater for children from grade 0-12: Albertyn Primary, Handhaaf Primary, Innes Primary, Winterberg Primary, Brandwag High, Daniel Pienaar High, Muir College, Sonop Primary, Frans Conradie Primary and Susana Fourie High.
• Tertiary Education: Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University is a short drive away.
• Shopping: There are several small shopping centres and markets located across Uitenhage and Despatch.
• Healthcare: A variety of primary care facilities, hospitals and clinics.
• Air travel: The Port Elizabeth domestic airport makes travelling to Durban, Cape Town and Johannesburg easier.
• Sport: There’s an indoor sports complex, a golf course, driving range as well as tennis, rugby, squash, soccer, bowls facilities and well-known to the area, the Uitenhage Country Club.
Featured Property in Uitenhage
Property in Uitenhage quicklinks
Property in Uitenhage for sale
Property in Uitenhage to rent - Long Term Rentals
Property in Uitenhage to rent - Short Term Rentals
Other Areas in Uitenhage and Areas Nearby Uitenhage