The lush area of East London, known as “Buffalo City”, is situated amongst the Buffalo, Kwelera and Nahoon Rivers, the heart of the Sunshine Coast, midway between Cape Town and Durban. As the Eastern Cape Province’s second largest city, the opportunities, natural surroundings and excellent schools network make East London a popular choice for those looking to settle in the province.
The city is a firm favourite for holidaymakers and families alike as houses for sale in East London afford close proximity to the beautiful coastline with its long beaches, lagoons and nature reserves. As it is so popular amongst local and international tourists, apartments and houses to rent in East London are a hot commodity, making it an attractive location for investors. Our East London real estate portfolio includes apartments and houses to rent as well as commercial properties. Browse our available properties below to learn more about the perks of owning real estate in East London.
Discover East London
East London offers an abundance of attractions which reflect its rich historical heritage and natural beauty:
• Enjoy an authentic cultural experience by taking a visit to traditional Xhosa villages or explore British, Dutch and German settlements to get a glimpse into the past.
• Set off on a day trip to the Wild Coast, an area of the Eastern Cape, which is set to become an environmental and cultural hub for local and international visitors.
• Unspoilt resort areas and premier ecotourism destinations in East London include Kwelera and Cintsa West/East overlooking a bay and lagoon, the small coastal village of Haga-Haga and the picturesque Morgan’s Bay.
• Situated on the Buffalo, Nahoon and Kwelera rivers, East London offers a myriad of opportunities for long, lazy beach days with the family, sailing, fishing and all the water sports you could imagine.
• The East London Zoo, Aquarium and Museum are great activities to add to your to do list.
Living in East London
Real estate in East London affords you access to many great attractions and interest-specific activities, but here are some of the amenities you will benefit from when you buy or rent a house in East London:
• Sport: Cricket fans will enjoy days at Buffalo Park Stadium while rugby and soccer fans will be more inclined to visit the Buffalo City Stadium to support the Border Bulldogs and Blackburn Rovers respectively.
• Schools: With a host of pre-primary and primary schools on your doorstep and access to high schools like Merrifield, Clarendon, Cambridge, Hudson Park, Stirling and Selborne College, your brood's education needs are covered.
• Tertiary education: From East London, you have access to Walter Sisulu University, the University of Fort Hare, Rhodes and Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University.
• Other amenities include: The East London Airport, East London Private Hospital, Beacon Bay Life Hospital, St Dominics, St James and St Marks Hospitals, Hemingways Mall and an assortment of restaurants.
Featured Property in East London
Property in East London quicklinks
Property in East London for sale
Property in East London to rent - Long Term Rentals
Property in East London to rent - Short Term Rentals
The East London office sponsors the annual the Gardens of East London Show, which is to be held on 6 October 2013. We appreciate the value that a beautiful garden can add to a home, as well as today’s pressing need to help conserve water – our most precious resource, by planting indigenous, water-wise plants. Coupled with this, we appreciate the care and effort – usually over years - that goes into creating an appealing garden, and which deserves to be recognised and admired.
The Township garden section is a competition which attracts a large amount of interest and entries, all vegetable gardens and is usually associated with East London’s Creches.
Our monthly business golf days sponsored at the East London clubs are extremely popular and held on the second Wednesday of each month. Four Ladies days are also sponsored at the East London Club. At Gonubie, we sponsor 6 Club Days on Saturdays and Four ladies days.
Other Areas in East London and Areas Nearby East London
The area's healthy climate and good infrastructure are conducive to outdoor activities.
The East London Golf Course ranked among the best in S.A, was recently the proud hosts of the Mercedes-Benz SA Open Golf Championships. Within less than 10 minutes drive from the beaches and hotels, you will find 85 tennis courts including the Selborne Park Stadium, 47 Squash courts, 30 bowling greens, the Joan Harrison Aquatic Complex featuring world standard water polo and swimming pools, the Jan Smuts Athletics and soccer stadium, Absa Park Rugby Stadium, Buffalo Park International cricket stadium, the Philip Kahts International Softball Stadium, hosts of the 2000 World Softball Championships, the Kat Leisure Park, the Nutting Badminton Hall and, of course, Nahoon Reef, world famous surfing spot! Our exceptional sports facilities and good weather make Buffalo City an inviting sporting destination for all seasons.
Rated among the finest in the world, the beaches of the region are characterized by long, attractive stretches of coastline. Certain areas are renowned for their surfing waves, and several international surf skiing competitions are held there. River mouths, lagoons and gullies provide a paradise for fishermen while underwater reefs may be explored. For angling enthusiasts, summer catches include huge reef fish such as musselcracker, while in the autumn the annual sardine run brings fighting game fish.